This website is a private project, and is run without any expectation or intention of financial gain. The following summary of data collection aims to put the site in line with GDPR requirements. (The TL;DR version is that I have absolutely no interest in your data for any other purposes than running this website, so I collect minimal data, and will delete any personally identifiable data on request.)
Here’s the longer version:
Who I am
I am Dr. Will Buckingham, a freelance writer currently based in Thessaloniki, Greece. My website address is: http://www.willbuckingham.com.
What personal data I collect and why I collect it
My approach to data collection is that I collect the minimum amount of data to make this website work, and no more. There are several ways I do this. The main ones are these.
- Google Analytics data: minimal data from Google Analytics, because it is fun to know where visitors are coming from worldwide.
- The details you provide via the contact form, including your name/pseudonym, email and the content of any message. The contact form aims to collect minimal information, so nothing is recorded other than these details.
- The details you provide via the comment function on the website, including all data shown in the form, visitor’s IP address and other data to help spam detection.
- The data you provide (just an email address) for my newsletter, Will Buckingham’s Wayward Things. To send you emails, I use the email address you provide. The site also logs the IP address you used when you signed up for the service to prevent abuse of the system. This website sends emails through the MailPoet sending service. This service allows me to track opens and clicks on my emails. I use this information to improve the content of my newsletters. No identifiable information is otherwise tracked outside this website.
- Cookies. Various WordPress cookies. You can opt-in to saving your details if you comment on the website. If you do, the cookies will last for a year.
Who I share your data with
Data is shared with other companies to the minimum extent necessary to provide the services on this website. This includes:
- Visitor data through Google analytics. Although this site uses Google Analytics to track visitor trends, it does not use the services that Google defines as ‘Advertising’ (for example, demographics, interest reporting etc.).
Beyond this, I do not share your data with anybody, nor do I sell it.
How long I retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so I can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
What rights you have over your data
If you have left comments on this site, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data I hold about you, including any data you have provided to me. You can also request that I erase any personal data I hold about you. This does not include any data I are obliged to keep for legal or security purposes.